Is your cat currently in i131 Therapy at VRCNH? Click here to view the webcam.
Many older cats develop a thyroid disease where too much thyroid hormone is produced. This elevated hormone causes your cat’s metabolism to run too high, causing weight loss, heart disease and kidney disease. Other signs can include hyperactivity or lethargy, appetite changes, increased drinking, behavioral changes, and/or diarrhea. Left untreated, hyperthyroidism is fatal.
Fortunately, over 98% of cases are curable with the use of a radioactive iodine injection - i131. One injection of iI-131 will destroy the abnormal thyroid tissue in 98% or more cases. The advantages of i-131 are:
- No anesthesia 98%+ success rate
- No lifelong daily medications
- Does not affect normal thyroid tissue or the nearby parathyroid tissue
- Experts agree that I-131 is the preferred method of treating hyperthyroidism in cats
- The total cost of I-131 is less than other treatment methods
We also offer a unique webcam service in which you may "visit" your pet as often as you want by viewing our streaming webcam on your computer.